Monday, January 2, 2012

Betty Haynes's Dog Rescue Adventure In Campton KY


 
    This is just one of the many adventures my husband and I have had doing animal rescue in the past couple of years. This story, is one that makes me laugh now that I think about it. Then it was not funny in the least.

    Kenny came to be at Our Critters in an odd sort if way in 2010. We did a transport to Lexington KY to help get a rescue dog to his new family. One the way back our car decided to “give up the ghost” and die on us. We ended up in a small area called Pine Ridge in Campton KY. If anyone knows this area they know it is very remote. We made it to a store off the parkway before the car died all the way. My husband and I had to actually push it in to the parking lot to get it out-of-the-way. We determined the car had extensive problems that would not be worth fixing. It would cost more to repair it than the car was worth. It would have costed a fortune to have it towed the 6 hrs home as well. So, I went inside the store and asked someone if they knew anyone that would buy scrap. Some nice fellows hooked us up with a friend who had a garage and bought junked cars.

The nice gentleman and his wife arrived and we made a deal and ended up selling our car to them for junk. While we were standing there talking a lady in white mustang pulled up in the parking lot in front of us and shoved this little dog out of the car. She then took off down the road. The dog ran straight to the out stretched arms of my husband Barry. He scooped him up and placed him in the car with me. We could not believe what we just witnessed. I asked about reporting the lady but the gentleman who bought my car said it would do no good. They do not even have an Animal Control officer there. The game warden takes care of all the strays. What ever that meant.

    We hitched a ride to the only overly priced motel in the county. I was praying all the way that they accepted pets, and they did thankfully. We were so happy to finally be in a room with some air. It was very hot that day. We decided to name the little dog Kenny. Since we found him in Kentucky. Kenny is a suitable name. Kenny, turned out to be a VERY SWEET AND LOVING little fellow. An added bonus is that he is house trained.

    Sunday was spent trying to figure out how to get back home. All the car rental places were closed until Monday. Not to mention we had not eaten a meal in over 24 hrs. There was no restaurants that delivered to the remote area. The nearest store was 2 miles away. To get to it walking meant we would have to cross over traffic barricades and fight very heavy fast traffic. My husband decided that I was not going with him. He said there was no way I could crawl over those concrete barricades as short as I am. Not to mention I had flip-flops on and I have a leg issue due to a fall off a ladder a few years ago that required some extensive surgery to correct. I can’t stand or walk for any length of time without being in severe pain. So, by chance I was talking to one of the house cleaning staff and she volunteered to take me to the store. She was able to do so with the managers blessing. I was able to get some sandwich stuff and some snacks and drinks and dog food for little Kenny. I was very happy to do so. I was so thankful for the nice girl who helped us.

   Did I mention that I had no black berry service at the location? My cell barley worked to get calls out. There was no telephone books in the motel rooms. I had to really work to get numbers to call to research on how to get out of the little hick town we were stuck in. I called Greyhound which would have been our ticket out of there but only one thing, They did not accept dogs. So, even if it meant us WALKING HOME that is what we would have done. No way no how was I ever going to abandon that little dog the way he was abandoned in front of us. So, I began calling every car rental place I could think up starting at 7 am Monday morning. No one would do a one way rental. The ones that would do a one way rental required a major credit card in the driver's name, which we did not have. All we have is a debit card. Some would not rent without a KY license. I found one that would rent a one way but in order to do that I had to rent the car for 5 days and that was $1200.00. No way no how could I afford that. So finally after some suggestions from a dear friend and my brother we called U haul. They agreed to rent us a one way 10 ft moving truck to get home.

     Now, we had to get to the U haul rental place 30 miles away. We ended up getting a ride there with 2 Nuns from a near by Catholic Church. They were very happy to help Barry and I and little Kenny. Kenny was a hit with them. They said their Parish was under Saint Francis who was the Patron Animal Of Saints. I will never forget Sister Ann and Sister Amy. They were really our angels in disguise. Without them I have no idea what we would have done.

     It is amazing to think how God works things. Even though our simple “Go There, and Come Back” trip costed us over $700 when it was said and done, that is where we were meant to be. We were meant to find little Kenny. He is such an awesome little dog. He has long since gone to his forever home, but his memory will linger in my heart forever.

No comments: