Saturday, October 29, 2011

Workforce Carolina Mt.Airy NC

In regards to the jobs in Surry County NC. I found this article in the Mt. Airy News. I just had to comment about WorkForce Carolina. It is a staffing service that has monopolized most of the available jobs in the area. They also have some strict guidelines regarding getting actually hired at their company. They complain that most the workforce in the area is not qualified and that MOST can't pass a drug test. I personally think it is all a bunch of hype.

http://mtairynews.com/pages/full_story/push?content_instance=16218670&need_to_add=true&id=16218670#cb_post_comment_16218670

Here is my comment I sent to the Mt.Airy News.

I agree with the fact that Workforce needs to lighten up some on their requirements. I also think it is unfair that they monopolize the jobs. If some of those jobs were listed through the actual employer, I think people would stand a better chance at actually gaining employment.

Workforce seems to carry grudges against people for petty things. I have read other things online that were negative. My husband was in there a few weeks ago to update his file. He had been employed through Workforce several years ago. He had an excellent record with them and the company he was placed at. My husband found permanent employment elsewhere after his long term assignment at Workforce. He worked for over 6 years until the company closed. So, he is unemployed and highly qualified to do many jobs.

When he arrived at WorkForce at the Mt.Airy location, he completed huge amounts of tedious paperwork to update his file. Afterword the lady informed him he had to have a checking account to get paid because they did direct deposit. She also said or he had to have an account with BB&T. Which my husband told her he did not want. She neglected to tell him that she could give him a card which his pay could be loaded on. Some how there was a huge misunderstanding about the whole ordeal. So, my husband handed the paperwork over to the lady and told her it was a waste of his time. He said it should be known and told upfront that you are required to have a checking account. And he left.

The next week, I got to thinking. Maybe I should call and talk to someone and find out if there was something he could do to get back to work there. He had always loved working for Workforce. So, when I called the lady I spoke with at the Mt.Airy location told me that in fact they did offer a pre paid card that they could load his paycheck in to. My husband says they did not tell him that. I told the lady about the misunderstanding and asked that his file be updated. She went to get someone else, if I recall her name was Jodie. She asked to speak to my husband. She told my husband that they would not consider him working for them because he had said it was "a waste of his time". He tried to explain to her that the lady did not tell him everything about the pay arrangements there. She did not want to hear it. My husband said she was very rude to him.

Now how unprofessional is that? To me that is very unprofessional. My husband did not do anything out of the way. He took the steps to try to express in a very polite manner what he meant. Then the lady in turn decided to act like a 2 year old with her handling of the matter.

I wrote a letter to the Workforce office in Mt.Airy and one to Ms. Lewis and I am yet to get a reply. I think once they lighten up a bit and get professional polite employees that put the facts out upfront then that would be a change for the better. Then maybe they can get some people in to fill those positions.

FYI, MS. Lewis my husband is one of those highly qualified people who can pass a drug test at any given time. So what is your excuse for not giving him another chance? Again, that supports my statement that you guys need to lighten up.

No comments: